To download this information as a PDF, click Register Office Details PDF
If required we offer complimentary transport to and from the registrars for those who need it.
The death will have to be registered within 5 days. (If the coroner is involved he or she will advise you when you can register.) When registering a death the registrar will need the medical certificate of the cause of death issued from the doctors, hospital or coroner and the following details:
- – Full name of deceased
- – Home address and postcode
- – Date and place of birth
- – Date and place of death
- – Last occupation
- – Full name, address and occupation of informant
If the deceased was a married woman the following details are also required:
- – Maiden name
- – Husband’s full name and occupation (even if deceased)
The ‘Tell Us Once’ System
Whilst registering a death you can use the ‘Tell Us Once’ system. This informs all the government departments about the death, on your behalf by the registrar. To access the service the following details and documents will also be required (please note this is not yet available at Sheffield):
- – Partner’s name
- – National insurance number
- – Partner’s date of birth
- – Partner’s national insurance number
- – Driving licence (if held)
- – Passport (if held)
- – Blue badge (if held)
- – Date of admittance to hospital (if applicable)
- – Information about any benefits or services the deceased was receiving
The registrar will supply the following documents:
– Green certificate for burial or cremation – this must be handed to your funeral director as soon as possible (if you telephone our office after you have registered we can come and collect this).
– Certificate of registration/notification of death – form 344/BD8 – for the Department of Works and Pensions.
– Certified copies of the entry of the death in the register – copies £4 each.
Where to Register a Death
The death must be registered in the district in which it occurred, by appointment only.
The Register Office, Dewsbury Town Hall, Wakefield Old Road,Dewsbury, WF12 8DG