Our History

TW Birks & Son was founded in 1929 by Thomas Wilfred Birks as a joiners and undertakers.The business passed on to his son Geoffrey who along with his wife Joy developed and expanded the business, building the first funeral home in the Huddersfield area at Woodhead Road, Holmfirth. We are proud of our history and being Huddersfields oldest independent funeral director still owned and run by the same family.

In 1972, TW Birks & Son took over LH Scholey’s funeral home on Manchester Road, Deepcar.

Geoffrey and Joy were succeeded in the business by their children who jointly own and run the business today, continuing the family tradition of providing quality funerals and memorials for the local community.

In 2013 they opened a new funeral home on Meltham Road, Nertherton, Huddersfield.